From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 11:23:52 +0100
Sony has released this recently (J.  Bell, London PO, Roger Norrington)
and I wonder what other listers think of it.  After a first listen I was
a bit disappointed, there is just nothing new in this work (for something
composed in the 9ties).  But after repeated listening I started to like it,
it has some very nice moments.  In the booklet this work is compared to the
Brahms concerto, though I was reminded more of Hindemith here and there.
Very good soloist, great sound and orchestral playing.  Defenitly something
for those, whishing to hear more conservative *modern* works.  A bit
annoying is that the concerto is the only work on this CD - one could have
recorded some filler (there should be something in Maws work catalogue),
just 40 minutes of playing time is (for that price) nearly an insult!

Achim Breiling