From:
Joel Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 17:12:03 -0700
Janice Rosen wrote:

>Is anyone familiar with a piece called Adagio for Strings and Clarinet
>supposedly composed by Richard Wagner?  Did he compose this?  I know a
>lot of Wagner's musical compositions and I am not familiar with this
>work.

It's actually the second movement of Karl Heinrich Baermann's (1784-1847)
quintet [or septet, with two optional horns] for clarinet and strings,
Op.  23.

An often-cited 1971 article in Music and Letters advises us that the
manuscript's owner attributed the work to Richard Wagner and offered
it to Breitkopf and Haertel in 1922.

Not until the 1960s was the authorship corrected; ironic as B & H had
originally published the work as Baermann's own more than a century
earlier.

best wishes--

Joel Lazar
Bethesda MD