From:
Daryl Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:26:00 -0800
Kancheli has an interesting piece called "Lament" for Soprano, Violin, &
Orchestra on ECM's New Series (289465138-2).  The text is from Hans Sahl's
poem, "Strophen." It is with Maacha Deubner, Gidon Kremer, and the Tbilisi
SO cond.  Jansung Kakhidze.  I have come to like it a lot.  It seems a
little slow at first, but turns out to have a surprising amount of energy.
It's the only piece I've heard from him, but I think it is a good start.
It's not overly impressive, but it is pretty good.  I'd like to hear what
Kancheli does with his symphonies.

Daryl R. Loomis