From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:05:31 +0100
mainly as a cinema orchestra), someone has kindly suggested that I take
a look here:

   http://www.sinfonia-of-london.com/html/history.html

Thanks for this.  I had read elsewhere that a 'Sinfonia of London' only
involved with movie scores and light music was so named in 1965 and as
the recording I heard dates back to 1963, I was left within reasonable
doubt as to the exact formation bearing the name at what point...  Here
I see a different orchestra again was 'bought' the same name in 1982,
if I have read correctly...

I had also read that the 'Sinfonia of London' Barbirolli conducted was
an off-shoot from the LSO.  Then founder Muir Mathieson could indeed
provide the necessary link - he conducted the LSO on occasion, while
involved with Rank since probably before 1955, after Korda in the 1930s,
and the British Governent film units during the war.

Does anyone know if the Sinfonia of London really was an off-shoot from
the LSO in Mathieson's time, at least at the beginning (1955)?  I suppose
it doesn't really matter...  The possibility just happened to intrigue
me.  Thanks anyway.

Regards,

Christine Labroche