From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:01:46 -0800
I like all the pieces written for the theatre, which have been recorded
under the name Ayres for the Theatre (I wonder whether this was a
designation by the composer himself?)

In particular I like the tune used by Britten for Young Person's Guide
(from Abdelezar).  It has an unsurpassed charm and grace, as well as
that grandness that is typically British.  It isn't that the German and
the French can't match it (Bach Overtures 4 and 5, for instance, and
even Handel's Fireworks music, and that really grand overture of Gluck's
featured in Tout le Matin.  Oh dear; I hope I'm not sounding too defensive)

So anyway, I think nothing like Purcell to put me in the grand overture
mood.

Arch