From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:58:43 +0000
Mitch Friedfeld asks:

>What was the first string quartet?

This is not an easy question to answer.  In the abstract, a string quartet
is simply a piece of music for four stringed instruments, and there were
pieces in this category from the Baroque era.  However, when we talk in
practical terms about string quartets, we refer to works possessing the
"sonata allegro form" that was developed by Franz Joseph Haydn and using
two violins, viola, and cello.  Therefore, the string quartet is considered
an invention of the Classical Era with Haydn as its daddy.

So the string quartet as we know it was not known to Bach or Handel,
etc.  The Art of Fugue is usually played on a solo keyboard instrument
but has been arranged for string quartet, chamber ensemble with woodwinds
and brass, orchestra, and even a group of recorders.  Bach was not
exacting as to the instrumentation to be used for the work; hence,
any combination of instruments can be justified by the performers.

Don Satz