From:
Art Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 21:13:57 -0700
Steve Schwartz queried:

>For those of you more attuned to the current classical scene than me,
>I ask whether Lang's general rep is rapturous or mixed.

He's certainly getting the big PR push, as already noted.  I've heard
him three times, two recitals, and Rach2 with the SFSO.  I can be a
sucker for flash pianists, but despite his obvious chops I was not
particularly won over -- haven't bought his CDs.  He was most impressive
on big stuff like the Rach second sonata and the Schubert Wanderer --
admittedly the best performance I've heard of this (oddly) infrequently
programmed piece.  But on some pieces not so easily blitzkrieged he was
mechanical and not communicative: Haydn, Chopin and especially the Brahms
Six Klavierstucke, Op.  118, music generally ill-suited to young hotshots
(though years ago I heard Helene Grimaud do a beautiful job with some
late Brahms).

For now, I'll take Volodos.

-- Art Scott
Livermore, Cal.