From:
Terje Rydland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 23:53:32 +0100
I do not know of a complete work list, but Martinu was a very prolific
(sp?) composer, writing music in every genre.  A lot of it has been
recorded by Supraphon - I just checked my collection and found 28 CD's
with music by Martinu (I also have about 40 LP's - my wife is Czech and we
spend every summer in Prague).  I think he was a very variable composer.
Wonderful at his best and extremely boring at his worst.  He was very fond
of some rhythmic patterns, and he tends to use those over and over.

He wrote a lot of operas (especially short ones).  My favourites are The
miracle of our Lady (a cycle of 4 short operas - on Supraphon 11 1802-2 -
2 CD's) and Comedy on the bridge (on Supraphon 11 2140-2 - one CD where the
other half of the CD contains another opera - Alexandre bis).His Epic of
Gilgamesh is also quite well-known.

Other favourites include his Rhapsody-concerto for viola and orchestra and
the double concerto for violin and piano. There is a recording of the
double-concerto by Josef Suk and Jan Panenka

He also wrote 6 symphonies, 7 string quartets, 6 piano concertos and 3
violin sonatas.  All of this has been recorded by Supraphon and most of it
(if not all) has been made available on CD.  There is also a 3CD box of his
piano music played by Emil Leichner (on Supraphon 11 1010-2).

So if you are interested in Martinu there are lots of available recordings.

Terje Rydland