From:
Garry Margolis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 09:32:10 -0700
The Guckenheimers were founded and led (on bass drum) by Dick Gump, head
of Gump's Department Store in San Francisco, and they were WONDERFUL!
AFAIK it never did get onto CD, and it should have.  But then, the Jonathan
and Darlene material was transferred to CD only because Weston founded
his own label and licensed the stuff from Columbia and RCA.

Eric Kisch wrote:

>Can anyone nominate other such persistent "head busters?" I'll start with
>Hoffnung's Chopin mazurka done with four tubas.  Heard on only piano
>afterwards, there is a sense of loss of color...

I have a few humble suggestions...

Shirley Temple's rendition of the Sextet from Lucia will be reverberating
in my head this weekend when I attend the LA Opera's performance of Lucia.

Frank Sinatra and Kathryn Grayson's version of La ci darem la mano is
another one...

And since Hoffnung has been mentioned, there's the 1812 Overture played on
recorders and viols by the Dolmetsch Ensemble with cap-gun obbligato...

I could go on and on...

Best