From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 20:30:29 -0400
Ed Zubrow notes that Michael Steinberg in a footnote in his own excellent
book, The Symphony: A Listener's Guide:

>"I specify the 1979 edition because in the original version of 1952
>Simpson had, in his own later words, 'seriously misjudged' the Sixth
>Symphony.  In his 1979 Preface, Simpson recounts his slow journey
>toward comprehension.  That so acute a critic, himself a fine composer
>and deeply committed to Nielsen, found himself thus blocked should
>give pause to all of us with our rush to judgment propensities."

I remember Steinberg writing this.  I read it after Andy Jackson pointed
out to me the revised edition.  By the way, where is Nielsen's "Old
Hickory" when we need him most? I haven't seen hide nor hair of him in
a dog's age.

Ed's reference gives me the opportunity to show my appreciation for the
Steinberg book.  I do not count myself a musical scholar.  I cannot even
read music.  So I don't read analytical books on music.  But Steinberg's
command of the mother tongue is so glorious and his analogies so visual
that I had such pleasure in feeling while reading the book that a whole
new world had opened to me, that I understood more than I probably really
do.  Mimi was recommending books and I defer to her.  Well I have to or
she hits me.  But I was surprised she didn't include Steinberg's writings
because I know she rates them highly and coming from Boston no doubt had
the pleasure of reading them as program notes rather than in collected
form.

Andrew E. Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Standing Up For Nielsen