From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 21:22:25 -0400
John Smyth wrote:

>Since no one had anything to say regarding Anna Magdalena's Notebook
>recordings, I guess I'll have to choose Ormandy's set, based upon the
>performance practice research of Leopold Stokowski....

Don't bother.  The Sir Hamilton Harty arrangement is much better, with
the antiphonal cannon having a telling effect in "Bist du bei mir"....

However, having missed John's plea for an AMN recommendation that might
not be so 'into the breach', I might say a word or two for the selections
played by the group Tragicomedia, on Teldec.  Unlike many other recordings
that use mostly harpsichord as the main instrument, this one transcribes
for various harps, lute, organ, & viola da gamba along with a vocal
quartet.  The transcriptions may not be purist, but the group is HIP and
knows how to add some festiveness along with a sense of tenderness and
repose.

Bill H.