From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 16:28:29 -0800
MOSCOW - Cellist-conductor Mstislav Rostropovich has been hospitalized
for an unspecified reason, and his manager said Tuesday "it does not
look good."

The hospitalization was disclosed by the Kremlin, which said the
79-year-old cellist had received a visit Tuesday by Russian President
Putin.  A representative of Putin's press service said she did not
know anything about Rostropovich's condition or treatment.

In New York, Rostropovich's manager told The Associated Press the cellist
was hospitalized last week in Paris, where he maintains a residence, and
then decided to return to Moscow.

"I saw him last week (in the hospital in Paris).  He was fine," said
Ronald Wilford, chairman of Columbia Artist Management and Rostropovich's
manager for 35 years.

"We were talking, laughing and he looked fine." Wilford said he had no
information about Rostropovich's condition, but said Rostropovich returned
to Moscow on Monday.  "It does not look good," he said.

Janos Gereben/SF
www.sfcv.org