From:
Keith Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 17:03:49 -0700
I had the opening ceremonies of the Olympics on television while I was
doing other things, but I caught one comment that intrigued me enough
that I hurriedly wrote it down.  (A more attentive fan or someone with
a videotape might challenge me, but I think I got it right.)

The announcers, one of whom must have been a CM booster, were giving brief
notes about each nation's team.  As the Austrian team marched by I think
I heard, *The Austrians are unlikely to win any medals, which is a shame
because their theme music was composed by Mozart.*

Unfortunately, I did not hear which selection from Mozart was to be played
for the Austrians.  My elderly reference books tell me the national anthem
is, or at least was, *Land der Berge, Land am Stromme* (Land of Mountains,
Land on the River).  Could the words have been set to something by Mozart?

If not, did anyone hear what theme actually was played for the Austrians?
Or, can anyone think of a Mozart piece that would have been especially
appropriate to represent the team and cheer them on (or cheer them up)?

Perhaps a theme adapted from a piano concerto, such as the Coronation,
K.537, or the Jeunehomme (a fortuitous surname), K.271; or perhaps an
optimistic Exsultate, jubilate, K.165.

Keith Dixon