From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:09:15 -0400
In the category of "music is just what the doctor ordered," a report in
today's NY Times reveals to the world the astounding news that "a new study
has found that teaching healthy elderlypeople to play music decreases their
anxiety, depression and loneliness." In the study, 130 retired people were
scrutinized, 61 being taught to play the organ in two 10-week semesters,
the other 69 left to their own devices.

Besides being tested for these psychological attributes, blood samples were
taken from the participants before and after the music course, and the ones
who received the group lessens were found to have elevated levels of human
growth hormone, the relationship of which to well being and "eternal youth"
is debatable, but which some think is beneficial.

At any rate, after all of the publicity about the "Mozart effect" on
babies, we now have some results at the other end of the life cycle.  (I
think it is essential to note that the subjects of this study were given
the opportunity to actively make music, not just listen to it.) If we can
just get someone to research the effects of music and music-making on the
mid-life crisis (the slogan will be: "Don't buy a Ferrari, buy a piano!"),
we'll have all the bases covered!

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]