From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 21:50:43 -0500
Roger Hecht wrote:

>Mitch Friedfeld wrote:
>
>>Totally agree.  By all means, don't waste your time on the Barbirolli
>>Mahler 6.  He takes the 6th so fast that he is able to cram the spurious
>>Symphonic Prelude on the disc.  You read that right: a Mahler 6 with a
>>filler!  Think how much more efficient your listening time would be.:-7
>
>Didn't the original EMI of the Barbirolli come coupled with Strauss's
>Metamorphosen? I do know the Angel box in the US SAID the Strauss was
>included, but it not always was!  But I'm not sure if this was always
>the case.  (I have a different pressing, so I can't check.)

I'm sure you realize what happened, but lest anyone think I was describing
the Barbirolli Mahler 6 as it appears above, it appears you have cut out a
crucial part of my posting, or maybe you were just thinking too fast.  What
appeared after my first quoted sentence above was a "recommendation" for
Jaervi; it is *his* Mahler 6, not Sir John's, that is taken so fast that
he can cram in a filler.

Believe the original Barbirolli M6, where he takes the inner movements in
Scherzo/Andante order, was coupled with Metamorphosen.  A later edition,
in which the inner movements are taken Andante/Scherzo -- which was JB's
preference in live performance -- was coupled with Ein Heldenleben.

Mitch Friedfeld