From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:14:57 -0500
Donald wrote:

>Overall, McGregor is up there with Aldwell and Nikolayeva as providing the
>best piano versions of the Art of Fugue.  If Aldwell and Nikolayeva are
>to your liking, McGregor should be a winner also.  Gerardo, based on the
>preferences he has outlined, would be wise to stay away from all three
>recordings.

Uhmmmm......About preferences,I like Nikolaieva,i always like "her"
Bach.Anyway she coached my teacher Oxana Yablonskaya hen she was making
her doctoral studies at Moscow Conservatory,and after Yablonskaya won
Margherite Long,Beethoven(Viena),and Rio de Janeiro competition she was her
assistant for a while until she had her own appoinment.  About Adwell,i
really don't care.  About Mc Gregor,i never listened her playing.  About
my preferences,you make a little mistake maybe.I like always "expressive"
performances,but that term "expresive"as i conceive it,is as i said in
Chopin related E-mail, means the neccesary amount of ...........  to make
understand what you want to say,no more, and no less.In other words the
perfect amount of coherence and balance.  Over intelectual performances,
with little heart (like R.  serkin in my opinion),or over "expresive"
performances (like Andre Watts Chopin)with little (or not)intelectuallity,
are completely out of my taste.  On the other hand i always demand for an
intelectual basis,because i also was involved in composition.I studied
composition in my country, and then at Rome,and i was very involved in all
the compulsory old stile discipline of contrapunctus,Harmony in the old
strictily choral stile,fugue,and all this context.For that reason i
develope(as any composition serious student)a kind of 2nd nature which
make a fast comprehension of an aproach of a work which is make by some
interpreter.  By the way one of the pianists who makes (for me) the perfect
combination of all this ingredients,is Maurizio Pollini.Unfortunately i
didn' listened yet "his" Bach performance.And maybe after it i can consider
him the greatest pianist of this century.  Cordially.

Gerardo:.