From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:02:03 +0000
   Frederic Chopin(1810-1849)
   Fantaisie-Impromptu, Op.66

With Part 5, I have versions of Chopin's Fantaisie-Impromptu from two
very highly regarded pianists:

Wilhelm Kempff - Decca/London 452307(1958 - 4:35)
Murray Perahia - Sony/CBS 39708(1985 - 5:08)

The Perahia disc includes the Four Impromptus, Barcarolle, Berceuse, and
Fantaisie in F minor.  As it happens, the latter three performances can
also be found on Sony #42400 coupled with Chopin's 1st Piano Concerto
conducted by Mehta and the New York Philharmonic.  You have a choice
here, so act wisely.

The Kempff offering also has the Four Impromptus, Barcarolle, and Berceuse.
Instead of the F minor Fantaisie, Kempff performs Chopin's 2nd Piano
Sonata, the Opus 39 Scherzo, and the Nocturne Op.9/3.  Needless to say,
Kempff's disc has much more music than Perahia's.

Perahia and Kempff present a good contrast to one another: style versus
substance and elegance verus 'grit'.  Perahia's version is stylish in
that he always prioritizes the lyrical aspects of the work with excellent
pacing.  He offers plenty of oomph in the 1st section, and his 2nd section
is very appetizing although on the safe side.  Add in excellent recorded
sound, and we have a very fine performance.

Switching to Kempff, it's easy to hear how much more suave a pianist
Perahia is.  By contrast, Kempff is gruff and digging into the soul of
the composer.  He displays no concern with the music's beauty, knowing
that it speaks for itself.  Instead, we find him emphasizing the fact
that the Fantaisie-Impromptu is one of Chopin's most powerful, tense,
and angst-ridden compositions.  Kempff's 1st section sizzles when it
isn't erupting, and his 2nd section, although very quick, shows much
variety of dynamics and pacing.  When the 1st section returns, Kempff
becomes a dynamo of frenzied activity.  Although the sound is rather
noisy, Kempff's playing rings out without a hitch.

Don's Conclusions: If you're in the market for an attractive version
of Opus 66, Perahia's should suffice.  If you want a real listening
experience that's memorable, Kempff is the preferred pianist.

As I have often noted in reviews, there are performances which try to
penetrate the inner workings of the composer and those which do not.
Kempff's Opus 66 is in the 'yes' category, and the effort is totally
successful.

Don Satz