From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 09:21:37 -0700
Norman M. Schwartz wrote:

>Nevetheless don't forget most people want to relax to enjoy listening,
>period.  After a long day's hard work they are not looking to preserve
>the art or to do more work getting out their encyclopedias to read and
>study.
>
>...  My parents didn't tune in their radio or TV for the same reasons
>you choose to listen.  Somehow we have to find the way to stike a happy
>medium (no pun intended).

I believe that how one uses music is up to the individual.  If a person
decides to take a great painting and turn it into wallpaper, that is
their choice.  Some artists like that notion and might even find that
to be an artistic statement of a sort, almost a statement of the nature
of society.  Some might use music for relaxation while some young people
might use music as an outlet for sexual frustration and the feelings of
being unacceptable to society.

If you present music in such a light which encourages the notion that
it is soley soothing background, or conversely, the screaming of those
who might feel disenfranchised by society, you are party to what has
become, from my perspective, limiting what can be considered an acceptable
range of expression.

Ultimately, for me, one needs to question the purpose of music, and
for me, how one uses music, or relates to it, is a demonstration of
the extent we value it.  For me, if you want to surround yourself with
a bunch of "yes men..." well I don't see your having much respect for
them.  Any bottle of wine can have the potential to relax you, but a
great wine can engage you.

  Karl