From:
Pierre Paquin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 21:31:26 -0500
There is no known digital cough eliminator program out there unfortunately.
In the noise free environment of digital recordings and CD available,
not to speak of the many tick and pop free tranfers I've made from LPs,
you'd think that while part the audience, these people would refrain from
senseless coughing,celophane noise while unwrapping candies, snapping close
pocketbooks, etc.  At a concert we recently recorded, the conductor, before
the downbeat,turned the audience and said, this piece begins and ends very
quietly.  If you think you have to cough do it now.  They did, these damned
fools.  The rest of the audience broke out into laugher and then applause.
This is proof that the vast majority of concertgoers don't cough
senselessly and are also annoyed by it.  During the music NO ONE coughed
or made some noise which goes to show that this "practice" of coughing is
truly a fake type undertaking 95% of the time at concerts, (at church?) I'm
convinced that some concertgoers feel that they have to cough in order to
be deemed true music lovers by the rest of the audience.  Can you imagine
the type?? I can.

Don't get me going on between movement coughing....another foolish
practice.  This goes to show that stupidity and ignorance are boundless
and limitless.  The ultimate solution for senseless coughing is to have
one or two guards on stage with rifles waiting willing to shoot anyone who
dares to cough and preferably through the throat.  At one concert recording
an assistant said, "Sounds like throat cancer hospital." We both laughed
like hell sardonically.  As a recording engineer of live orchestra and
chorus concerts mostly for 30+ years, I've come to just laugh at the dumb
bastards out in the audience esp.  if someone coughs up a "lunger".  It the
only way to deal with it.  Just laugh.  As for you out there who sits near
a cougher, tell them simply and very softly:  "Will YOU shut the f...  up,
for godsakes!" It works each and every time, believe me, and will eliminate
future senseless coughing from that source.  The worst (or the best?) of
the coughs as recorded by us are being saved by us for a special CD of
unforgetable concert coughs of all sorts.(I must get to Carnegie Hall soon
to record the best of them!!!) Finally, in recording concerts in a series,
it seems that the major, seemingly fake coughing always comes from the
same seat.  At the Rhode Island Phiharmonic concerts, for example, its
always from row 4 seat 22 left as flushed out by very detailed stereo
listening with speakers with extremely good imaging.  (We can find out
who and where you are!  So be very careful next time!) Mics are usually
at the same "aural focal point".  Some future concert I will go out in
the audience to that person in that seat and say the crude expression as
printed above, so help me....  As for the rest who really must cough please
take out your handkerchief and try to muffle you cough.  You wont spread
your filthy, cancerous throat-washed germs onto the rest of us too...you,
"in your Brooks Brothers Suit"......you slob.

Pierre Paquin
www.sd-associates.com