From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 06:11:03 -0700
I like serial music.  True, there is some serial music which I cannot stand
- and the Boulez Sonatas are at the top of the list.  But I have found 20th
Century music embraces a wide variety of styles and I have found over the
years serial music which is enjoyable to listen to.  There are also pieces
from the Baroque Era, Classical era and Romantic and Late-romantic era
which I also can't stand to listen to but I know there is plenty to like
and enjoy and I concentrate on that.

As for recommendations, Steve Schwartz has a list which is a good start.
My own personal favorite is the 1st symphony of Jonas Kokkanen with it;s
wonderful chorale last movemont - derived from the tone row which supports
the piece.

Dave Harman
El Paso, Tx
The Last Frontier of Classical Music