From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:11:53 -0700
Stuart Karow writes:

>On this 4th of July weekend, I was listening to an NPR story, about the
>music of John Philip Sousa

A worthy way to spend the 4th!

>I was surprised to hear that Sousa's teacher had also taught Brahms and
>Bruckner.  Since the story didn't mention teacher's name or where Sousa
>obtained the instruction, I thought some of you might know? Although
>Sousa's home was in Washington, DC, I suspect he spent some of his initial
>music training in Vienna.

All I can find (in the Groves' Dictionary of American Music) is that he
studied with John Esputa Jr (1830-82) in D.C.  till he was 13, then with
George Felix Benkert while an apprentice with the Marine Band.  I've never
heard either name connected with Brahms or Bruckner, but I'm no expert.

FWIW there is a label, 'Zephyr' IIRC, that is doing the complete Sousa
operettas!  Rarely if ever recorded.

Hope this is helpful,

Bob K.