From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 19:12:52 +0000
Scott Morrison writes concerning the Vox/Cohen CD:

>Here's a review of a CD that's a knockout.

Scott's posting brought back memories of about a year ago when I was
doing a review project on recordings of the Brahms Variations and Fugue
on a Theme of Handel.  I thought the Cohen version was superb based on
exceptional sound, diversity, pacing, and intervals.  Obviously, I second
Scott's opinion of the performance.  There isn't another version which
is paced as naturally as the Cohen.

I'm not very familiar with Cohen's performance of Schumann's Fantasy in
C which is on the same disc.  I've been waiting to include it in a typical
review project of mine of recordings of the Fantasy.  I do recall listening
to it and not being as impressed as I was with the Handel work, but that
was many months ago and only constituted lazy listening.  I believe that
during that same listening session, I also heard the Earl Wild version
on Ivory and thought it fantastic.

At any rate, the Cohen disc is dirt cheap, so I join Scott in urging
listmembers to check it out.

Don Satz