From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:43:32 +0100
I finally got my hands on the complete symphonies of Vaughan Williams.
I've been chasing down all the Previn/RCA recordings.  It's a shame that
they aren't available as a box.

Previn did a really good job, even the enigmatic no 9 makes sense (I've
also heard Slatkin's #9).

I've compared #1,2,4-6 and 9 with other recordings and live performances.
Previn is always as good and usually better than those.  I haven't heard
Boult's or Haitink's recordings.  The best live performance I've heard was
when Hickox conducted #2 in Sydney back in 1996.  The worst:  Jarvi #5 and
6.

Finally; went to Borders on Oxford Street in London and listened to VW
conducting his #4 and 5.  Very intense and fast tempi in #4, the orchestra
seemed to be play on the verge of it's capabilities.  #5 sounded very much
like Previn's #5.  The sound quality couldn't motivate the price
(full-price CD).

mikael