From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:09:55 PDT
About six months ago, I stopped buying music at stores and have restricted
my purchases to web sites.  It has worked out well, and although I've
entered stores to buy music periodicals, I consistently have resisted the
urge to buy there.

However, resistance did not win out today.  I was at a non-Borders store,
and noticed a new disc of Goebel conducting Bach wedding cantatas featuring
soprano Christine Schafer.  Given my high regard for Goebel, Schafer, Bach,
and Bach's cantatas, I was hooked.  Further, I started snapping up off the
shelves a few more Bach cds, two reissued Karajan/Mozart operas, and then I
saw that the store had initiated a used cd section.  There were all kinds of
good stuff to be had, and the sales clerk asked me if I could use a shopping
cart.

At that point, a bell went off in my head, and I realized that I was in the
grip of a buying frenzy.  That really bugged me, and I put everything back
except for the new Goebel disc.

I can't be sure that my store purchase was an abberation that won't
happen again in the near future, but I did feel that I had exercised
some decent self-restraint by putting all the other discs back.

Gotta go.  The mail just arrived, and some discs from CD NOW might be
waiting for me.

Managing The Addiction,

Don Satz