From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:29:01 +0200
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This is the very first biography on the Swedish composer TURE RANGSTROEM
>(1884-1947).  His songs and his symphonies have been recorded rather
>frequently for the last 20 years, so it is surprising that we had to wait
>that long for a biography.

The Gods shall know I have waited for it!  Thanks for reporting it Mister
Rasmusson!  I first got to hear Helmer, who by the way is the right man to
write on Rangstroem, planned a study on Rangstroem, however this might have
grown out to the biography.

>His opera "Kronbruden" ("the Crowned Bride") is a direct adaption (word
>by word) of the first four acts of Strindberg's play.  A TV-version (of
>the opera) was produced in 1990, and the opera was also staged in Malmoe,
>Sweden less than a year ago.

This wonderful opera should be the Swedish National Opera!  (Of course
there is also Arnjot).

>First, some negative criticism: Rangstroem's character is analysed in
>some detail, but at times I think the author is judging R:s actions from
>a moral point of view.  It seems like R.  was aware of his weaknesses, but
>he couldn't resist his inner driving force.

Ture Rangstroem always had to hear that he lacked contrapunctual technique,
but listen to the Stringquartett in G minor:  The prestissimofugato in the
finale is alone enough to prove he really could write contrapunct!

>He seems to have been a very passionate man, and he wasn't the man
>who could forgive and forget.  In that sense he was even worse than
>Peterson-Berger.

True, and THIS is something one can hear in his music!

>The book does not try to put Rangstroem's music in context, and that's
>fine, because his music is highly original.  But in the middle of the book,
>the author suddenly feels urged to state that Stenhammar is a superior
>composer to Rangstroem.

To me Stenhammar could be said to be superiour as he shows more examples
on correct technioque, but in matters of talent I consider Rangstroem
superior, but I know many don't agree with me.

>but unfortunately no discography.

I don't know for sure what have found its way onto CD, but for grammophone,
I can provide the following discography:

   Symphony Nr.1            DEC LXT 2665
   Divertimento Elegaico    SWS LT 33149
   Sub umbra: The Night     HMV SCLP 1032
   Fiddlars Spring          HMV SCLP 1053
   Maelarlegender           RCA LSC 3119
   Stringquartett G minor   SWS SLT 33225
   Songs                    HMV FALP 568
   King Eriks Songs         SWS LT 33149
   You and me - melody      OD MOAK 1002
   Songs                    HMV EBS 18
   Songs                    DEC SXL 6185
   Tristans Death           RCA HR 224 & SWS SLT 33218
   The Wind and the Tree    HMV SCLP 1057
   Songs                    SWS SLT 33171
   King Eriks Songs         FABO SLP 33106
   Songs                    EMIdisc 4E 048-50465
   Her Words                RIKS EP 8 & HMV 4E 061-37488
   King Eriks Songs         HMV 4E 155-35211
   Songs                    HMV 061-31149
   Songs                    SWS SLT 33234

On CD there are some I especially want to recommend:

   Complete Symphonies: Norrkoeping SO/Jurowskij on CPO
   Songs: Svenden/Hagegaard on Musica Sveciae

Really great stuff!

>I really hope that this book will be translated in the future.

I hope so too!

James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>