From:
Peter Herwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2007 21:02:03 +0000
Hi All, I just received in the mail the initial payment for a commision
(I am a fine art painter and experimental filmmaker) which I asked to
be paid in terms of Cds!  I got the second Herreweghe Matthew Passion
which I've already written about- suffice it to say it's gorgeous- and
the Krips Mozart symphony set.  I've known these performances for some
time but I believe they've been out of print for a while. The transfer
is very good and the performances as beautiful as I remembered them.
I hadn't heard symphony 29 in some time and it was a revelation very
beautifully articulated by Krips and the Concertgebouw.  If I were to
describe Krips view of Mozart very briefly I would have to say that it
breathes, that the phrases are open rather than enclosed, and that this
lets the music flow naturally and organically.  Nothing is forced- quite
the opposite.  My, but I love these performances.  But don't worry, I
also love Bruggen, Pinnock and other HIP conductors of Mozart.  I
definitely think there's room for both.  I am very happy with these
purchases.  Now let's hope I can deliver the goods (which is a large
canvas) so I can buy more Cds!  All the best,

Peter Herwitz