From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:46:39 -0500
Don Satz on Levin's new WTC 2:

>What is immediately interesting about this new set is that Levin plays
>the harpsichord, clavichord, organ, and fortepiano.....  I don't yet know
>his rationale for using four instruments, but I'll be reviewing this set
>in the future.

I heard Robert Levin perform WTC2 at the Gardner Museum a few months ago,
using the four instruments as described.  His rationale, not presented
in rigorous and dogmatic terms, was to match the music to the medium, so
majestic celebatory pieces were played on the organ, intimate ones on the
clavichord, etc.  I have to admit that I found the constant shifting betwen
instruments a bit distracting.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University