From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 19:42:06 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>There's an alarming trend on this list.  All of a sudden, list members
>are referring to conductors as "maestro".  Sorry, but I can't abide a
>designation that has a larger than life or royal aura to it.  What I really
>can't comprehend is how a reasonable person who is aware of his/her human
>qualities and happens to be a conductor could possibly want to possess that
>designation.

I was recently in San Salvador performing with the National Symphony
Orchestra there and was referred to as Maestro by everyone that I met.
In that culture it is a title of courtesy and respect and although I have
never, ever, insisted that anyone call me maestro, I appreciated the
sincerity with which it was conferred upon me.

The word, after all, means "master" or one who has mastered his or her
craft.  It could be equally applied to a master cabinet maker or a jeweler
or anyone else who has attained a high level of mastery over a subject or
craft.

As to the overlooking of one's human qualities, I would say this: Once
upon a time, people in this country were taught manners.  You addressed
your elders as Mr. and Mrs or Dr.  or Professor or even Coach.  You didn't
do otherwise until you were invited to do so.  Even adults had the common
courtesy to use formal titles with everyone but their closest friends.  My
Grandmother, who died in 1984 aged 84, addressed a number of her peers as
Mr. or Mrs until she died and thus they addressed her.  If someone calls
me "maestro" I take it as a fine and high compliment.  If I choose to call
another musician "maestro" I mean it out of a great deal of respect for
that person's achievemnets and abilities.

I frankly see nothing wrong with the title, nor do I think that anyone
(except maybe von Karajan) truly thinks of him or herself as a royal
personage when they mount the podium.

>I side with Jerry Seinfeld on this issue.  In one episode, he poked great
>fun at a small-time conductor who insisted on all his acquaintances calling
>him "maestro".  The guy was truely obnoxious, and this would also apply to
>any famous conductor who liked the term.

Sorry Duke, but I think you are jumping on the other alarming trend on
this list, that of gross generalization.  I know a number of very fine
conductors who certainly are not obnoxious who wear the title of maestro
very well.

Kevin Sutton