From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:41:49 -0600
Martin Anderson wrote:

>Then Jim Tobin suggests:
>
>>The work I would most like to hear a new recording of is the Weingartner
>>orchestration of Beethoven's Hammerklavier Sonata.  ...
>
>I wonder if the CPO series of Weingartner's orchestral music will stretch
>to that; I'll try to find out.  If it doesn't, what should the coupling
>be?  More orchestrated Beethoven, logically -- but what?

Henry Krips- Piano Sonata No.8, Op.13
Walter Piston-first movement of the Moonlight
Morton Gould-ditto
Leopold Stokowski-ditto
Brunelli-ditto
Carmen Dragon?-ditto, for piano and orchestra (performed by Pennario with
   Carmen Dragon conducting)
Mikhail Pletnev-Violin Concerto arr for Clarinet and orch.
Dmitri Shostakovich: Gesange op.75; aus Goethes Faust, baritone and
   chamber ens.
Dmitri Mitropoulos-String Quartet No.14, op.131, C sharp min.
Leonard Bernstein?-ditto, probably following in the footsteps of
   Mitropoulos?
Gustav Mahler-String Quartet No.11, op.95 in f min.
   String Quartet Op.131 plus his own versions of some of the symphonies
Alexander Brott-various early pieces of Beethoven grouped together as
   "The Young Promethius"
Thomas Frost: Minuet in G
William Smith-Fur Elise
Paul Marrion-String Quartet No.12 in E flat major, op.127 (for strings)
Toscanini?-Septet, op.20 in E flat maj. (Don't know if it was an
   arrangement per se, but he did record it with a full compliment
   of strings)
Toscanini?-Quintet op.16 e flat maj.
Weingartner-Grosse Fugue op.133 for string orchestra
Hermann Scherchen-Grosse Fugue op.133 for orch?

I don't know for sure who did all of the arrangements of op.133, but
each of the conductors listed did a recording of an arrangement.  It
might just have been their doubling up on parts.

Karl