From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:27:49 -0700
jeff Dunn writes:

>Since 1958, the few great melodies that come to mind that might grace
> regular concert programs are:
>
> ---Barber: Piano Concerto, 2nd movement
> ---Bernstein: Mass, "Sing God a Simple Song" (Also his Chichester
>     Psalms, 2nd movement)
> ---Kvandal: Violin Concerto, themes for first and second movements
> ---Hoiby: Piano Concerto no. 2, second theme, 1st movement
> ---Blake: The Snowman (separate piano piece, for a recital encore)
> ---Corligliano: Piano Concerto, 2nd theme; Red Violin Chaconne
> ---Daugherty: Violin Concerto, 2nd theme

I would suggest the Barber Violin Concerto but I am not sure that it
was written after 1958.  I know only about half the stuff on the list,
but I think its fair to say that few items if any, would appear on a
list of the most interesting or most moving music composed in the last
fifty years.  I am thinking of works by Messiaen, Shostakovich, Schnittke,
Tsontakis, Lutoslawski, Adams, Holmboe, Ligeti, Lindberg, to name just
a few.  So I suggest further that melody as a measure of the quality of
music is rather overrated.  But heck, to each his or her own.  If you
love melody so be it- you have that right, although don't expect me to
fight to the death defending it.

I should add that Lindberg has discovered his inner melodist- give a
listen to his Clarinet Concerto.  And don't forget Lowell Lieberman- his
Second Symphony is ridiculously melodic and beautiful and absurdly bland.
Yeah, it's all one man's umble opinion.

Bernard Chasan