From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:58:18 +0100
John Parker:

>My question, of Ring Cycle fans is: Would it be stupid to mix different
>versions of the cycle? Common sense tells me that I ought to stick with
>one conductor, one set of performers, for the complete cycle, but I am
>also a cheapskate and if I could reasonably get away with some other
>performances..well, I would.  Unless it was a REALLY bad idea.  Opinions?

Ideally any Ring fan would like to have several complete cycles.  But
realistically, I can't see any overwhelming objections to mix'n'match if
circumstances require it.  That's a far better idea than not getting hold
of all four parts and not getting to know the whole work.  It sounds to me
as if John is firmly hooked, so I expect that no matter what he decides to
do now, in a few years time he'll have found some way to persuade himself
to hand over the cash for at least one full cycle, and maybe a couple more
as well.  Once the Ring gets you, it doesn't let go easily.

Ian