From:
Olivier Solanet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 16:31:24 -0400
John Smyth wrote:

>...  Rachmaninoff's playing was crisp, clear, "unaffectated," no
>lolligagging around with excessive ritards, and...he makes clunkers!!!
>Rachmaninoff makes mistakes!  Who would have thought??

For very good and very clean performances of the Rachmaninov Concerti,
notably the Op. 30, listen to the Nikolai Lugansky recordings on Warner
Classics.  Lugansky's Rachmaninov is very good indeed.  His other
recordings include the Preludes, Etudes-Tableaux, Moments Musicaux,
Chopin & Corelli Variations, et al.  Still young - he's 35 - I'm looking
forward to following him mature even more as a pianist with time.  He
certainly has the potential to be one of the greats.

Incidentally, I would like to know if anyone on the list owns his recording
of the Chopin & Rachmaninov Cello Sonatas with Alexander Kniazev, also
on Warner.  The third mvt.  of the Rachmaninov seems to have a recording
defect...

olivier solanet
http://web.mac.com/solaneto