From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:03:33 -0500
Bob Dubois wrote:

>It was really interesting, except one thing: the Goldberg Variationen
>were performed by Glenn Gould.  He's playing very well, I have to agree,
>but it's very irritating he always singing the pieces.  When I hear him
>play, I always turn off the radio for a while, I think he's the perfect
>example of showing now respect at all for the composer!

To think that Gould had no respect for Bach is absurd: the man devoted
much of his life to studying and performing Bach's music; that's a hell
of a lot more respect than most of us can pay Bach even if we wanted
desparately to do so.

I once heard it commented that Gould's humming in recordings was annoying
while he was alive; but then it assumed a sort of mystical aura after his
death, a little like the voice from the grave trying to tell us the things
he couldn't express while he was around.  I have similar feelings about his
humming; it not only doesn't bother me but acts as a mood-enhancer helping
me to concentrate on the music.

Ulvi