From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 12:05:09 -0800
Kevin Mostyn wrote:

>I assume that there is a trick to this question, but I can't figure out
>what the trick is.  Oh well, I'll just state the obvious: the Guglielmo
>Tell Overture, the beautiful cello section passage at the beginning.

Well, now I can see how you might think that was a trick question.
To be perfectly honest, I think I can now count the number of times I've
have listened intently to the William Tell overture on exactly one finger.
And, I'm just about as surprised by that as you are.  Of course, darn
near everyone knows the Lone Ranger theme, and I guess that's all that
had stuck about the overture from casual exposure over the years.  I
know I've never heard it in concert.

I'm listening to the Fiedler/Boston Pops recording for RCA right now.
To my astonishment, this is the only recording of the work I have in my
collection.  And I bought this hybrid SACD just about two months ago.
Go figure.

My many thanks to all who responded.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/