From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:35:47 -0600
David Whitbeck wrote:

>Now for my question: On these two recordings that I have (Beethoven
>Piano Concertos Nos 3,5 Royal Edition Sony Classical Bernstein New York
>Philharmonic, Mozart Piano Concertos Nos 21,27 DG Abbado London Symphony
>Orchestra) with Serkin on the piano on both recordings; I occasionally
>here this odd sound.  Have you ever heard the weird moaning sound of
>wind when you're inside close to a window?  Well I hear something like
>it on these recordings: a moaning wind sound. Can anybody tell me what
>that sound is?

I believe that one of the London halls had problems with traffic noise
getting into the recordings. I think it was Kingsway Hall. In my recording
of Vaughn Williams' Norfolk Rhapsody, there's an eerie whailng noise at
the end, just as the music fades to silence. I suspect that it's a truck
outside. According to the liner notes, this was recorded in Abbey Road
Studio #1, in 1968.

David, do you know where the London Symphony recording was done?

Mike