From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:19:58 +0300
Richard Pennycuick advises Igor Grobman:

>Apart from the suggestions in the book, I'd strongly recommend a visit
>to the cemetery at Simmering which is on a Strassenbahn route....

The line number is 71.  Get on at the terminal Stadtpark (the park's
also the location of the Johann Strauss statue that is suggestive of
Andre Rieux in full fiddle).  Get off at the last stop, Zentralfriedhof.
(where Johann Strauss happens to be buried).

Beethoven: (1) the Pasqualatihaus, subway U2, or tram D to the Schottentor
stop (2) Heiligenstadt Testament House, tram 37, Geweygasse stop, or bus
38a, Armbrustergasse (3) the Eroica House, Doeblinger Hauptstrasse 92,
tram 37, Pokornygasse.

Haydn: Haydn Memorial, Haydngasse19, subway U3, Zieglergasse, bus 57A,
Brueckengasse.

Mozart: (1)Mozart Memorial, Figaro House, Domgasse 5, subways U1 & U3,
Stephansplatz.  (2) Mozart's grave, cemetery St.  Marx (never tried it
by public transport-- ask your concierge.  St.  Marx is one of Vienna's
twenty-some boroughs).

Arnold Schoenberg: Arnold Schoenberg Center, Zaunergasse 1-3, trams D,
1,2, 71, Schwarzenbergplatz.

Franz Schubert: (1) Birthplace, Nussdorfer Strasse 54, trams 37,38,
Canisiusgasse (2) Last residence, Kettenbrueckengasse 6, bus 59A, Grosse
Neugasse.

Denis Fodor