From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:44:04 +1100
Mimi Ezust enthused:

>I just got the symphonies of Sir Charles Hubert H. Parry on Chandos,
>performed by the London Philharmonic, Matthias Bamert, conducting.
>
>If you heard that Brahms had destroyed many of his own symphonies and you
>were sad about it, then Parry and Stanford are for you. The musical
>language sounds to me very much in the same tradition. Parry has hints of
>Mendelssohn and Schumann, too. This is wonderful rich romantic music.
>I have taken to it instantly.

I endorse Mimi's recommendation wholeheartedly.  Those of a Brahmsian bent
would also do well to check out the four symphonies by Friedrich Gernsheim
(1839-1916) on an Arte Nova 2-CD set (74321 63635 2).  Gernsheim knew
Brahms both personally and musically, and I've enjoyed getting to know the
work of a composer I'd not previously heard of.

Richard Pennycuick