From:
Robert Stumpf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 14:16:15 -0500
Gustav Holst: (1874-19340)
The Planets Op.32
Arnold Schoenberg: (1874-1951)
Verklarte Nacht (Transfigured Night) Op.4

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Women's Voices of the Roger Wagner Chorale
HIS Symphony Orchestra/Leopold Stokowski
EMI 67469

Finally!  Thank You!  Now we can hear the Planets as it was intended to be
heard, should be heard.  EMI went back to Stokowski's personal notes
requesting adjustments to the sound on the tapes of the Holst.  A previous
CD release washed out all the sound because, while they went to the master
tapes they did not go back to Stokowski's approved one.  Now they have
fixed it and it sounds just wonderful. In fact, I would go so far as to
suggest that it sounds better than the LP.  There is more air around the
notes, a more natural decay.  There is more body to the sound, more depth;
you can "feel" the bass.

Stokowski recorded, indeed performed, little English music.  He did
Elgar's "Enigma" towards the end of his life, and Holst as recorded here
and from a live NBCSO broadcast in 1943.  He also gave the US Premiere of
Elgar's Second Symphony when Stokowski was in Cincinnati.  Other than
that, nothing comes to my mind.

This recording of the Planets now joins my list of favorites.  I can now
feel a sense of Elgar as I listen to the music.  If Mars is less intense
than in 1943, you have to hear the tam-tam at the end.  Mien Gott, is
it powerful!  The most controversial aspect of this recording is Saturn,
the "Bringer of Old Age".  In 1943 it takes 9:05, fairly close to others,
but by 1956 it is revved up to 7:48!  This "old age" is still robust and
strong, probably a lot like the 74 year young Stokowski.  It takes some
getting used to.  On the other hand the rest is just plain wonderful,
sensual, atmospheric.  The play and interplay of the woodwinds with the
strings is just delicious.  I begin to gush, sorry.

At first glance I had some doubts about the coupling.  I didn't know that
both composers were born the same year.  Not only that, the orchestral
version of Schoenberg's Night is from 1917 whilst The Planets was completed
in 1916.  My recollections of Verklarte were that it was acerbic, not at
all comparable with the romantic Holst.  Well, things change.  From the
fade-out of the Planets to the fade-in of Nacht is so smooth you'd hardly
notice the segue.  It is neat.  This music is early Schoenberg, still
influenced by Mahler among others.  I love the insert note picture, it
reminds me of the one on the LP my father had (on Seraphim I believe).
The recording is much finer than a previous CD incarnation.  (That was
available only on a Japanese EMI release I was able to get from a friend in
Japan.  I don't know that it was ever obtainable in this country.  It was
coupled with Bartok's MSPC.  If anyone reading this review happens to have
a copy, I would like to know) On that disc the sound was muddied whereas
now individual detail comes through.  This is a wonderful recording of the
work, one that will make me go out and do some comparisons to hear other
facets.  That is the true mark of a great recording, it makes you want to
hear others, to explore, to discover.

Post Script: Of all the photographs Stokowski hated of himself, and he
hated almost all of them when he got older, he hated the one on this cover
most of all.  Just thought you might be interested in that fact(oid).  I
now have to go throw up.

If you have the CD in question, please contact me at:
Nuff said.  Get this disc.

Peace,
bob stumpf