From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:15:35 -0400
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>An alphabetical system is fine as long as you don't buy any more CDs.
>After buying a CD of Alkan piano music, you spend ages moving nearly all
>your CDs to accommodate it.  Murphy's law also dictates that if you leave
>space at the end of each shelf, it will quickly be filled.  So the question
>is whether the time spent keeping an alphabetical system organised is less
>than that spent in hunting for a particular CD which could be anywhere.

Not that I've done this myself, but a solution would be to assign
consecutive call numbers to your CD's, simply store them in numerical order
and maintain a catalogue on one of the available data base programs for
listing the works of which you have recording, which, in addition to title,
composer, artists, recording label, etc., would also list the call number.

Walter Meyer