From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:37:17 -0700
Shur Jie Chang asks:

>I am now 27 years old and a research assistant at a computer science
>research center.  I have got my master of computer science in Taiwan two
>years ago.  Furthermore, my most favorite is cello playing although I have
>learned cello playing for just 4 years and harmonics for one year.  I was
>always told that I am too old to begin to learn music.  Is there any
>opportunity that I can formally study music in the future in America?

Of course.  One is never too old to begin music.  Too old to be a concert
cello soloist: maybe.  But never to study.

I am about the same age, 26 (well, OK, on Sunday, with Carlos Chavez) and
just now going to study music formally.  I have a Bachelor's degree in
Liberal Arts.  Somehow, though, I managed to get into a grad program in
music theory in the fall (at which point there will be a small lapse in my
posts.  Ah, Hark!  I can hear you all crying already.).

I'm certain that it helped that I have a good musical background, including
a lot of theory, and didn't have to audition on an instrument for this
particular program (just some tests).  But this school at least (New
England Conservatory, in Boston) specifically says in the catalog that you
need not have an undergraduate degree in music to study there at the
graduate level.

I am sure there are other like places out there.  Come, come!  Get your
comp-sci degree.  Make a million dollars.  Then study music!!!

Bob K., countin' the days