From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:56:02 -0400
Iskender Savasir recently mentioned his radio station in Turkey, and
said that it...

>...has a very limited archive (best at World music, poorest in
>Classical Music) so most programmers (myself included) use their own
>archives.

Assuming that IS would like to expand their CM collection -- not just
with Haydn's Masses, but with Turkish composers -- I have a couple of
suggestions.  They might well be redundant to him but, using his radio
station as pretext, I hope others will make additional recommendations.

As I mentioned in a January thread (2002 Musical 'Discoveries'), I
recently gained exposure to a notable Turkish composer.  Ahmet Adnan
Saygun (1907-1991): three symphonies, two piano concertos, a concerto
da camera, and a viola concerto.  If I had to recommend a single work
to add to anyone's collection, I'd frankly be stuck: every work is
extremely good, IMO.

A CD called 'Music for Strings from Turkey' has since come into my
collection.  Composers include Cemal Resid Rey (1904-1985): Andante and
Allegro for Violin and Strings (w.Suna Kan, violin); Ulvi Cemal Erkin
(d.  1972), Sinfonietta; Nevit Kodalli (b.1924): Adagio; and Cengiz Tanc
(b.1933): Lyric Concerto for Flute, Oboe & Strings.  Northern Sinfonia
of England/Griffiths.  (Koch/Schwann 3-1480-2)

Any others?

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa