From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:26:50 -0600
Deryk Barker:

>Franz Berwald (1798-18something) was a superb symphonist, well worth
>investigating (his Sinfonie Singuliere is a wonderful work).

I can't believe I forgot Berwald.  The Singuliere, first time I heard
it (in the Schmidt-Isserstedt Nonesuch recording), just bowled me over,
particularly the rhythms and dissonances.  In many ways, it reminded me of
Stravinsky's Symphony in C, written about a century later.

>More recently there was Wilhelm Stenhammar whose two symphonies,
>orchestral serenade and two piano concertos I enjoy very much.

I can't believe I forgot (ICBIF) Stenhammar.  The concerti I can live
without, but everything else sounds like Scandinavian music should sound.
I like the string quartets as well and there's some incredible choral music
that, as far as I know, never made it to CD.

>And somebody is bound to weigh in with Allan Petterson. (sp?)

ICBIF Pettersson.  A remarkable composer, in some ways a cousin of Robert
Simpson and an heir of Beethoven.  Very tough music.  The symphonies are
superb, but I'd also recommend the Barefoot Songs, the second violin
concerto, and the concerti for strings.

I apologize to Salonen and Norgard.

Steve Schwartz