From:
"Robert Stumpf, II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 17:32:57 +0000
I have read several books of recommended recordings and notice that over
the years there is an amazing consistency.  Using just one piece of music
(Debussy's "La Mer") let me tell you what five sources have suggested.

In 1972 Martin Bookspan, in Consumer's Union's Classical Music recommended:

Toscanini, Giulini, Reiner, Ormandy and Ansermet

In 1975 the Penguin Record Guide, written by Edward Greenfield, Robert
Layton and Ivan March recommended:

Martinon, Stokowski, and Karajan

In 1981 Stereo Review's Richard Freed recommended:

Martinon, Reiner, Ormandy and Karajan

2002's Penguin Guide now recommends:

Haitink (with a rosette) Baudo, Dutoit, Paray, Karajan, Reiner, Munch and
Barenboim

Then we turn to the 2002 Classical Music: The Third Ear edited by Alexander
Morin written by Joseph Magil:

Martinon, Paray, Munch, Tilson-Thomas, Stokowski and Toscanini.

Now some of the differences are possibly due to the fact that when
each writer did his recommendations certain recordings were not available or
had not been made.  At the same time look at the similarities:

Two for Stokowski, Munch and Ormandy
Three for Karajan (but note that two are from the same source)and Reiner
Four for Martinon

There are also some interesting and vast differences.  Magil dismisses
Baudo, Dutoit, Giulini, Haitink and Karajan

Then there is at least one interesting comment by Magil.  He says that
Celibidache's recording has "baffling glacial tempos" but Stokowski's
has "ecstatic, erotic abandon and ravishing sonorities" despite the fact
that he is slower than Celi in every movement.

Perhaps some of you have noticed similar conclusions in the books.
Perhaps I have too much time on my hands, but maybe you would like to
offer your observations about other recordings.

Stumpf