From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 02:43:20 +0000
Great quotes.

I hope this isn't too much off topic.  I am an American Civil War buff,
especially the Battle of Gettysburg.  Recently, reading Gettysburg by
Stephen W.  Sears, I read the following.  The quote refers to the panic
in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania as the Confederate army approached west bank
of the Susquehanna River in, I believe, June, 1863.  I apologize if there
are mistakes in the quote:

   "The panic increases.  It is no longer a flight - it is a
   flood. . . .  Carriages, carts, chariots, indeed all the
   vehicles in the city have been put into requisition.  The
   poor are moving in wheel-barrows.  A trader has attached to
   his omnibus, already full, a long line of carts, trucks,
   buggies, whose owners probably had no horses. . . ..  The
   confusion is at its height.  Cattle bellowing, frightened
   mules, prancing horses, the noisy crowd, the whistling
   locomotive, the blinding dust, the burning sun."

The author of this quote was Louis Moreau Gottschalk.  The description
reminds me of his music.

Ron Chaplin
Iselin, NJ, USA