From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 21:24:29 +0100
Tom Warren wrote:

>How could a Bach fugue be "incorrect". I don't know how to write a fugue,
>but I certainly have played a few and they seem very correct to me.

The fugue from the famous Toccata and Fugue is incorrect.  It is also
the worst piece Bach ever wrote if he indeed wrote it, which is unlikely
given that it is so bad.  It is incorrect as it doesn't even complete
the exposition without lapsing into this Pachelbel Canonned harmonic
progression which is entirely unnecessary, not being counterpoint or in
any way related to the Subject, which looks more like a violin figuration,
anyway.

Its easy to write a fugue though, just choose a subject, find a
counterpoint and join up the dots.  Writing a good fugue though.....

David Stewart