From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:21:54 +0200
I recently picked up a CD in the EMI British composers series.  It features
orchastral works by Frank Bridge (The Sea, Summer, Cherry Ripe, Enter
Spring and Lament) played by the Liverpool PO under Charles Groves.  I
found it in a *new releases* section, though this CD was produced in 1989
(the recordings are from 1974/75).  Wonderful stuff!  The Sea is an early
(1910) late romantic work and contains all the title might promise.  Enter
Spring - a 20 minutes rhapsody for orchestra - is clearly the masterpiece
on this CD, stemming from Bridges late period (around 1925, if I remember
correctly) and comparing very well to the cello concerto (Oratorium).  The
other three are shorter but very pleasent works.  A truely masterfull
composer!  I hope some label will put out an integral recording of the
string quartets sometimes and that I find this Conifer disc with the
Phantasm for piano and orchestra somewhere (apparently its deleted!).

By the way in the booklet of this one was a little catalog of the British
composers series and there it was listed a CD with violin concertos by
Berkeley, Williamson and Panufnik done by Menhuin!  I have not see this
anywhere and also online I could not find it!  Does it exist?

Achim Breiling