From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 19:11:19 PDT
Bob Kasenchak wrote:

>I have to imagine that the QT that named themselves after this work
>gives it a great reading?  Just an inference...suggestions appreciated.

Bob is referring to the Sibelius Academy String Quartet.  They recorded
all the Sibelius string quartets on a 2-cd Finlandia set.  I enjoyed the
performances but have no idea if they are definitive.  I also have a
fine recording of two Sibelius string quartets, including op.  56 on BIS
performed by the Sophisticated Ladies; that name was too good to pass up.

 From the reviews I've read, there is no consensus on op.56 and no
"definitive" recording.  Current string quartet players have an opportunity
to reach that definitive level.

Don Satz