From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:27:54 -0700
Don Satz wrote:

> I generally attend about 2 concerts a year, although that number went
> up when I vacationed in Europe.  With little exception, I don't find
> live concerts very appealing.  My mind tends to wander, and I end up not
> feeling that I've received full value for my ticket cost.

Well, if it works for you, fine.  I have to say I am 100 percent on the
other side.  To me, the visual factor not only provides insight upon
insight at the time, but adds so much more to my appreciation of a CD
afterward.

Take the idea of split violins.  Can you really detect it and appreciate
it on CD without seeing a phrase go from section to section across the
stage?  I believe all orchestral pieces written before the start of the
20th century were composed with this rudimentary stereo idea in mind.
I will be glad to stand corrected on this.  The effect is more or less
lost on CD.  There must be hundreds of similar examples pertaining to
thousands of pieces.

For me, an appreciation of serious music is unthinkable without an
aggressive schedule of concert-going.

Mitch Friedfeld