From:
Edgar Beach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:10:03 -0400
Walter Meyer writes:

>Checking out my purchase of a portable radio at Circuit City (a local
>discount appliance chain) I saw a bin of off brand classical CD's at $1.99
>each.  Figuring I didn't have much to lose, I bought three and am now in
>the middle of listening to the second.

Such a conicidence - I too was at Circuit City a couple of months ago
purchasing an inexpensive cassette player when I discovered those racks.
What a delightful find.  I have since purchased at least 16 plus CDs of
some very excellent music.  The label is generally Point Classics - and
some of the artists performing are the Austrian Radio Symphony Orch.,
Takacs Quartet,London Festival Orch., Flautist Bryan Keith, and the
Suddeutche Philharmonic.  Orchestras and Conductors were unknown to me.
However, I was most struck by the works presented:

Beethoven's Missa Solemnis
Corrette Concertos for Organ
Dohnanyi Sonata for violin and Piano op 021
Hindemith Sonata for flute and Piano
Janacek Sinfonietta for Orchestra
Paganin Concerto for violin and Orch no. 001
Ravel String Quartet in F Maj
Shutz: St. Matthew Passion
Smetana String Quartets
Wieniawski Concerto for Violin no. 2
Dvorak's Symphony no. 5
Bartok: Folk Dances

Some of this music was unfamiliar to me and this was a very inexpensive
(1.99 per disc) introduction to some excellent music - especially the
Shutz work.  Very decent sound and performances I thought.

Ed Beach