From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:31:10 -0500
Our local public radio station (the DC area's WETA) has been gradually
cutting back its classical music broadcasts.  Up until then I supported
it financially, consistent w/ the resources of a middle echelon bureaucrat,
even making some "challenge" contributions.  When they substituted "Morning
Edition" and "Weekend Edition" (already being broadcast on the American
University public radio station) for morning broadcasts of classical music,
I cut back my support to the basic $35 annual membership and wrote a letter
to the station explaining the reason for my action.  I received a reply
letter explaining that, with a more powerful transmitter, the station had
expanded its range of listeners whose preferences, they believed would be
for the talk programs over the classical music programs.  When I got a
mail solicitation for an increased contribution, I filled in a "zero"
in the space reserved for the amount promised with a message repeating
my previously expressed concerns and suggesting that no doubt the
contributions from the increased listenership with a presumed preference
for talk shows over classical music would make up for any contributions
that I was now holding back.  I never got a reply.  In the meantime, the
number of classical music programs being supplanted by talk shows is
increasing.

Baltimore's classical music station (affiliated with a community college),
an FM station like WETA, has a much higher concentration of classical music
broadcasts and comes over surprisingly clear where I live in northern
Virginia, about 50-60 miles from Baltimore, including on my car radio
(although not on my Walkman), but strangely, gets increasingly difficult
to receive the closer I get to Washington (and Baltimore).

Walter Meyer